Update on Blogo

Posted on 17th July 2008 in blogging

Last week I posted about trying out Blogo, a blog authoring application for the Mac.

I contacted the support team at brainjuice explaining my problems, and mentioned that I missed the ability to have a link history/glossary.

A few hours later I received a reply. I found out that the issue I had with style on the

tags will be addressed in an upcoming release. They had added the inline styles to avoid float bugs on some weblog systems, when posting through Blogo.

The link typing problem is a known WebKit issue and is being worked on.
The auto-completion for links is on the list of features to be implemented.

They weren’t too sure about the issue that I as having with editing my posts and I said that I would try and get DasBlog setup locally to try and debug it.
I tried running DasBlog on my VM whilst connecting to it using Blogo. There were various issues caused by settings that I have never touched and basically I gave up trying to get them talking after about 30 minutes.

I left it at that, then 6 days later I received another email from the Blogo team informing me that they were working on the same issues with another DasBlog user. At least that proves that it wasn’t me doing something silly.

I look forward to seeing an update on this, as I have to say I love the interface of Blogo. It is clean and simple. Perfect for my not so often blogging on my little site here.

This is my first try at update with a new version of Blogo on 27th July.


comments: Comments Off

Second (Actually 3rd) Post from Blogo

Posted on 9th July 2008 in blogging, dasBlog

The engine running this blog is DasBlog which does not appear on the list of supported systems for Blogo (FAQ), so I was expecting a few things not to work.

I am making a second third test post from Blogo. The first time I posted it seemed that there was a style added to the initial paragraph which caused my blog to look strange. This second third post is to confirm that it was in the markup sent from Blogo.

I was tempted not to post this as I could see from the preview that it was going to do the same thing. I decided to go ahead anyway, so that I had an example of the markup that it is sending and so that I could figure out how I can save drafts.

This part of the post was written after saving as a draft. Drafts are posted to DasBlog without publishing them. This is perfect for me, apart from one small problem when it comes to editing the saved draft. Well technically the editing of the draft is nice and simple. Blogo will let you list all of the posts on your blog and allow you to change the text. The intention is then of course to re-post to the blog and have the content altered.

On submitting the edited post I see this error.
I can only assume that something in the DasBlog editing system is not playing well with Blogo. I have emailed the authors of Blogo to let them know and to find out if there is any prospect of DasBlog support in the future.

Not being able to edit my posts from Blogo doesn’t completely rule it out right now as the application seems very nice to work with. It is the first one that I have tried on the Mac, so I will see how it stands up to the others that I use.

The old saying “You only miss it when its gone” applies to a feature that I didn’t realise I was using all that much in Windows Live Writer. Whilst trying to go back through this post and link up the various references that I could. I found that I was missing the way that Windows Live Writer handled links. Using the link glossary had obviously become something that I did without thought. So when trying to link up all instances of the word Blogo I found myself re-typing the informatin everytime, rather than selecting the information from a list, which is what I was used to.

A slight annoyance was that when trying to add links whilst going along, I found that I would select the word that I had just typed, add the details for the link, then carry on typing, it would still think that I was typing the link.

Something strange has just happened and I am not sure what the result of posting this is going to be now. I previewed my post to see what it would look like and it looks like it is not going to break the layout. Maybe it is because I have images in this post. More investigation is needed.

[edit:from DasBlog editor]Looks like there are no styles on the paragraphs this time. A little confusing. Also the images didn’t quite upload correctly. I was expecting them to be thumbnails linking to the full images.

comments: Comments Off